Makes 10-12 slices
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 45 min
1½ cups wholemeal flour
¼ cup besan (lentil) flour
¼ cup cricket powder (plus 10 whole crickets for garnish, if desired)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
¼ cup black sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon chia seeds
1 Tablespoon za’atar (Middle Eastern spice mix)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Line a small loaf tin with greaseproof paper and spray lightly with oil.
- Set aside a pinch of each of the seeds for decorating the top of the loaf.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, stir together milk and oil. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Transfer to prepared loaf tin; sprinkle the remaining seeds on the top and press down lightly. If using, place whole crickets in a line (1 per slice) on top.
- Bake until a skewer inserted in middle comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store at room temperature up to 4 days, or freeze to keep it longer.
This quick bread is ideal for an open sandwich. Try the following toppings:
- Hummus, tzatziki or baba ganoush
- Cheese and tomato
- Cream cheese, quark or labneh with roasted capsicum
- White bean dip and sliced artichoke hearts
- Fetta and roasted sweet potato
- Avocado and edamame (young green soybeans)