Preparation time: 20 min
Chilling time: 20 min
½ cup (45g) whole frozen crickets
1 cup (125g) walnut pieces
1/3 cup (30g) raw cacao powder
250g dates (or date paste)
1/3 cup (60g) pitted prunes, chopped
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- Defrost crickets at room temperature. Pre-heat the oven to 1800C (3500F).
- Roast crickets for around ten minutes, remove and set aside to cool.
- Place the cooled crickets, walnuts and cacao powder in a food processor and process until course powder.
- Add in the dates, prunes and maple syrup and process the ingredients they clump together.
- Roll out into 2-3cm balls, place into mini cup cake papers and chill to set.
- You could use or ½ cup roasted crickets, or ¼ cup cricket powder.
- You could substitute the maple syrup for treacle, molasses, honey or golden syrup.